Monday, November 27, 2006

Evil Turkey

So, the fever broke last night. Around 4am, I think. I woke up in what felt like a swimming pool in my light blue velour pajamas that my mother decided that I absolutely needed for my birthday this year. I am now referring to this ensemble as my "sick pajamas". Thanks, Mom.

Thanksgiving is a blur. I was already tired. The turkey tasted like meat jello. Others liked it a great deal. I chewed, smiled, did my obligatory gastric enjoyment sounds, and forced a swallow. Nothing personal, I just don't like turkey. I don't respond well to the sleepy chemical in turkey. Evil turkey! I went home that night and passed out around 9pm. More turkey injestion at various places in the next two days solidified what I have always felt for the consumption of birds--they are dirty, dirty creatures. But beyond this, all meat is prone to the gathering and festering of bacteria, people. Heating and reheating The Bird? Not cool. No, not cool at all...

My pulse is back under control now, and I am no longer shivering hot yet unable to get warm. It's kind of nice. I'm thinking of eating again...one day...in the near future...although ginger ale is still a big step.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Light blue velour PJs? Yes, the perfect sick day ensemble! Hope you're feeling better soon N. Me, I like turkey, but I know it's very easy to OD on the stuff. We know folks who go a long way to actively avoid it too. Our Thanksgiving fare included lots of variety; Lox, salmon & smoked trout & fresh breads (sort of brunch at the start), smoked oysters, lots of fresh fruit & veggies, leg of lamb, a salmon pastry deal, chicken filled shell pasta, beef brisket and of course turkey & 2 dressings and several different variations of grits. They also had an entire oriental 'station' that we never manage to get to, but it's pretty typical/predictable stuff there. Naturally we were out for the afternoon here down in Ga. There was the usual groaning board of tempting deserts as well. We picked out much of the fresh fruit from the chocolate fountain, but there were a bunch more cute bite sized temptations. The piano player I think was paid his weight in leftovers. I inquired about this, and was met with blank stares when I queried about some take away. They actually had to set up for the even more expensive formal evening service.

It's always the most peaceful & quiet Thanksgiving we ever get, and for this and much more we're Thankful! Cheers & Keep Well, 'VJ'

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the Thanksgiving weekend that we had also. Husband and daughter fell ill so I tended to them. I work at a children's hospital and there is a mean gi bug making its rounds. What we recommend for the kiddos is gatorade diluted by half w/ water. Drink a teaspoon every 5-10 minutes to maintain hydration. Hope that you are feeling better soon.

Phil said...

I believe those PJs could also be worn out on the town. Velour? Those are "dress" PJs.

Sorry you are not feeling well -- yes, birds are filthy animals, which is why they should be destroyed and cooked at 400 degrees. Tasty!!

Namaste said...

Thanks, all. I've made it back from the dark side today. Can I just say that purple gatorade is the only way to go?

And yes, Phil...I'm actually thinking that my minty blue velour pj's will be a great accent to the next Cookie-Namaste Minx night...

Tee hee...