Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Sober Thoughts on Day 1, 2008

"Seldom do we know how to map existence." - JBK

I woke up this morning with a very simple realization sitting squarely at the forefront of my thoughts: If I want to finish my doctoral dissertation in 2008, I can. I really can. Of course, this will require that I discipline myself to devote every single day to a few hours of structured and focused work, but it is not like I haven't already proven myself with my uncanny capacity to focus and do miraculous things when necessary. I think it's safe to say that I have finally reached a point where the uncertainty and constant anxiety of being a hungry graduate student has not managed to kill me. To the contrary, it has made me stronger.

Now, if I can only manage to find a way to write my dissertation on a beach somewhere. This New England winter is positively killing me.

Happy New Year,

Namaste

4 comments:

Psycgirl said...

Happy New Year Namaste! I've been thinking the same thing as you today - my dissertation is possible, if I actually focus on it. Maybe I can be done by this time next year.

squindia said...

Happy New Year! I recently discovered your blog and love that you articulate a lot of my thoughts so well and also bring new perspectives to me.

You most certainly CAN finish! It was that exact thought that motivated me to finish my MA in 2007!

goodluck!

Anonymous said...

Good to see you surface N & Happy New Year! I see the train a 'coming around the bend... all you need is a little more steam. This is good because often as not steam heat is all that NE can muster in winters! Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

Restaurant Gal said...

Happy New Year! Hmm, 2008 dissertation writing...on a beach...out of the cold New England air. I happen to know JUST the place :)