Thursday, September 07, 2006

"You Can Check Out Any Time You Like...

...but you can never leave..."

Maybe I'm a little behind the times, but my new favorite song is the Gypsy King's cover of
"Hotel California" on the "Big Lebowski" soundtrack. Aside from the fact that the Gypsy Kings have been one of my favorite groups of my semi-adult life, the Eagle's rendition of "Hotel California" is probably one of my all-time, most relied upon soundtracks ever. Whether happy, sad, feelin' in "the mood", or just trying to kick back and cook something splendid, "Hotel California" has it all right there. Not only this, but it's pure poetry. Think about it. It's life. It's love. It's learning that you can't escape from your demons, bad habits, what have you. Maybe for some, it means that you'll always go home, or back to what is comfortable to you. For others, it may mean that we can't wander too far from our true paths in life, as we'll always get pulled back. "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Hmmm....

Actually, thinking about it now, I believe there are perhaps three songs that one should live by. In no particular order they are:

1. Kenny Rogers: "The Gambler" Even though I shouldn't pick favorites, this is my Favorite. It's the best all time advice ever, ever, ever. When in doubt, Kenny will help you out. Best thing is that he won't lie to you: "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run." I can't think of any better possible life advice, and I'm sure that I've lost count of how many times I've known when to walk away, and when to run...

2. Rolling Stones:
"You Can't Always Get What You Want" Because it's just true. You can't always get what you want. And you won't if it's not what you need. Sure, we could get into the whole ontological debate of wants versus needs, but let us not split hairs and just accept the proof in the proverbial brown sugar, shall we?

3.
Eagles/and now Gypsy Kings: "Hotel California". I also particularly like the "mirrors on the ceiling" part, but perhaps we shall save that for another day...

3 comments:

I-66 said...

I have the original Eagles version (love the accoustic version too), the Gypsy Kings version, and also a Bob Marley version - it's not as good but it's an interesting twist.


...and by the way, I think Hotel California is 3rd behind Volare (2) and Vamos a Bailar (1) on my personal list of Gypsy Kings songs all time.

O-FACE said...

Time Warp........


Go Bucks beat Texas

Namaste said...

kenny rogers look alikes? now there, something! thanks jmr!