Saturday, December 02, 2006

No More Magic Pills

Yesterday morning, I woke up and felt like things were back to normal. After a few days of horrendous illness, I felt ready to tackle the world again. I had plans. Big plans. I was going to work for the bulk of the day, and I planned to get a good work-out in at the gym. Baby steps, right?

I decided that I needed a good breakfast, so I made myself a nice, fluffy omelette and some tea. I read the paper, took my daily vitamins, and reminded myself that I needed to take my new, flashy medication, which the doctor says will make my life long, healthy, and perfectly fine. Feeling fantastic, I hummed a little tune, popped my two magic pills with their rather noxious orange enteric coating and jumped in the shower in antipication of my day.

Half way through the shower, however, I started to feel really, really weird. My vision felt clouded, and I felt like I was going to pass out. I got out as quickly as possible. There is nothing worse than a passed out naked girl in a bath tub. Hmmm...maybe the water was too hot, I thought. Still, I was determined to go on with my day like a normal person. I got dressed, but felt heavy all over. I started to dry my hair. Half way through this exercise, I felt something had gone horribly, horribly wrong with me. Was it the eggs? It couldn't possibly be...

I subsequently spent the rest of the day in a cycle of sleeping, shaking, fighting a violent fever and becoming extremely dehydrated. A dear friend of mine came to keep an eye on me and bring me liquids, which couldn't have been more heaven sent. It took 3 phone calls to my doctor (who is out of town) to finally have an on-call doctor call me back last night and tell me the obvious: I'm allergic to my magic pills. In fact, the magic pills are what made me so magically sick last weekend. I went off them while I was sick, and went on them when I felt better, and the same illness returned.

Fortunately, all of this passed around midnight last night. All of this gives me greater incentive to stick to the yoga and acupuncture...and stay away from the harlotry of Western medicine.

And for the record, I never get sick.

No comments: