Thursday, March 15, 2007

Broken Computer Shiva

My computer did a little electric burp today when I fiddled with the pluggy thing. It burped and then turned off. I turned it on again, tried plugging it in again, same burp, same turning off response. That's when I wisely pulled out my handy-dandy, traveling saver stick thing (whatever it's called) and backed up all of my files, pictures, music and professionalisms stored on the thing. As the battery lurched towards its death, I attempted to back up my more miscellaneous files, but ran out of time. With no way to re-charge the damn thing, I now have a dead computer.

I momentarily thought about sitting shiva. I really did. Instead, I poured myself a glass of wine and got down to the task of calling HP. Honestly, if this means the end to this laptop, then I don't think I'll be mourning for too long. We've never had a good relationship. It's always been a little dysfunctional. And besides, this, she's kind of a fatty. She has a super wide screen, which would be cool if I didn't actually need to strap her to my back and take her camel riding. (Literally.) I have a feeling that she's always known this, that she was originally my second choice, which is why she's been so fickle with me ever since. I just know it's because I've made her feel insecure. None of this is helped by my wandering eye. And I admit it, I've touched other 'puters too. I lovingly stroke the MacBooks in the Apple Store whenever I can. I've always come back to her, though. Now I'm starting to think that maybe she's been better to me than I realized...

Finally, the nice computer man in India named "Jay", told me that for the low, low price of $105, the good folks at HP will send me a new AC adaptor, which, apparently is not covered under my year-and-a-half old, three-year warranty. Now, I know I'm not a computer expert, but I'm also fairly sure that the problem is not the adaptor. At the same time, I am willing to save as many of my meager pennies as possible to find out in 3-5 business days. Nevertheless, my gut is telling me that it's the pluggy thing itself. I noticed that there is a small crack at the pluggy source, where the AC adaptor makes sweet, electric love to the female part of the 'puter. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell you that it's gotta be something there. So, if this broken plastic part is actually covered under my warranty, then I'll most likely get a repaired and refurbished everything. Which is cool. Because I'm broke. And if this is not covered under my warranty, then it is officially-official that I am going to be eating more tuna than usual for the duration of my life and "borrowing" a heck of a lot more toilet paper in my future in order to purchase a 13-inch, white, Macbook, upon which I will write my award-winning doctoral dissertation of all doctoral dissertations...

Indeed.

But, really, the sad reality is that I can't afford a new computer. And I also can't afford to be out of one either. Most definitely not now. Not in the writing process. But I do need a new computer that won't give me problems in the field...

...Yeesh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Real life being what it is, of course it's unlikely that the little plastic power connection bits are covered anywhere in the warranty. But it sounds as if it's fried anyway. Get one of those handy 'armored' models, the kind you can take into the desert with you on that camel. They do make such an animal (machine). Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

Preetalina said...

Hmm I'm not sure if this could be the problem, but try taking out the battery from the laptop (she is a laptop, right?). Then plug in the power and try turning it on again.

If it turns on, you can run without the battery and just the power connected, then eventually re-insert the battery and all should be good to go.

I have the same problem with my laptop at times (I think it's the same problem), and when I do this it works. It's worth a try anyway right? :)